Every birthday, I write down the things that have made me wiser over the years. I am still learning and discovering life every day, but here are the things that made the list:
1. Learn to love your life and yourself.
No matter how messed up you or your life may seem (or people say it is) there’s always something unique about you. Find that. It’s there somewhere, you just have to look carefully. Be grateful and appreciate being alive.
2. Chocolates, books, and music can uplift your mood.
In that order.
3. The sunrise, the sunset, and the moon are three miraculous beauties that come to you every day.
Learn to appreciate it. Find some time in your busy life to sit and look at these beauties and calm your mind and soul.
4. Never stop learning.
‘One who stops learning becomes old. One who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing you can do is keep your mind young’ Henry Ford said that.
5. Improve. Mature. But never “grow up”
I have seen people give up on many things just to look more “mature”. Make sure you never lose the inner child in you.
6. Smile when you wake up and forgive people before you sleep.
Somethings you should do for your own peace of mind.
7. Eat, sleep, laugh, and talk in moderation.
Because an excess of anything is bad. But smile a lot! Smile and shine!
8. Give charity and gifts regularly.
Charity softens your heart and gifts increase love between the giver and receiver. It doesn’t matter whether it’s small or big. It’s the intention that counts.
9. Make time for your family. Family is very important.
Love them. Serve them. Be with them.
10. Make sure you spend some time with people below 7 and above 70 regularly.
They know the magic to make you feel better.
11. Tell your parents you love them. You may not have the chance later.
And I mean, tell them! Like, tell them on their face, “I love you, Dad” or “I love you, Mum”. The regret of letting them go without letting them know is too much to handle.
12. Spend a day without your phone. Spend another without looking at the clock.
Experience the slow-mo life!
13. Selfishness is a virtue.
14. Stop complaining about how life sucks.
It doesn’t. Even if it does, get up and make it better.
15. Spend time with people who support and believe in you.
And be that person for others. Be someone that is happy for others’ success. Remember, what you give out comes back to you.
It’s the only thing that money can buy that makes you richer. And travel to places to explore the culture, the history, the food, the language, and the people, and not just for the Insta-worthy selfies.
17. Do yourself a favour and follow your passion.
Figure out what lights your fire and then chase the match.
18. When in doubt, always ask mom.
She carried you safely for nine months. Trust her. Remember, when in doubt, ask mom.
19. Not everybody will like you. Stop trying to please everyone and get with it.
After all, you are not the centre of the world.
20. Chivalry is not just for men.
Courtesy before chivalry. Always.
21. Listen to your body.
It talks to you. Befriend your body. Listen to its signals and you are sure to feel calm, peaceful, and aligned.
22. Think before you speak and read before you think.
So basically, read more, speak less.
23. Let makeup empower you.
But never be ashamed of your natural self. Believe in your beauty.
24. Drink more water.
And when you do that, your skin, hair, mind, and body will thank you.
25. First impressions are worthless 50% of the time.
So try not to judge people over that.
26. Never cease dating your spouse.
That’s a fine way to keep the spark alive!
27. Dream, dare, and droll.
Get a wishbone, a backbone, and a funnybone.
28. Nurture nature.
Beauty lies in the green of trees and this earth needs nature to survive and we need the earth, don’t we?
29. Stop eating after 7 pm.
Call it intermittent or whatever you like. Just give your body the time to reboot and refresh.
30. If you can not find a door, look for a window.
Life becomes even more beautiful with an optimistic attitude.
31. There is always time.
Each morning is a fresh start. If you couldn’t do it yesterday, now is a good time to start.
32. The world is not white or black.
“The world isn’t binary. Everything isn’t black or white, yes or no. Sometimes it’s not a switch, it’s a dial.” Jeff Garvin said that.
33. Do not waste time trying to “fit in” or “stand out”.
Just be yourself.
34. When you buy something new, give away something old.
It helps you simplify your life, declutter and improve someone else’s.